Monday, April 10, 2017

7-Step Skincare Routine

Few months ago, I've decided to pay extra attention to my skincare routine.

So, what happened?

On mid last year, I decided to ditch my usual dermatologist's skincare and opted for the generic ones. That was not an easy decision though as I had been the worshipper of my dermatologist since 2009. But then I read an article about how you should change your skincare regimen every now and then to adjust with your skin condition. And yes, I realized that my dermatologist's skincare routine no longer gave me the glow and the magic it once did to me in 2011-2012.

So I was thinking, "Maybe it's time."

It was not a walk-in-the-park journey too to find a product that really suits my skin condition. Or to be able to give the magic I hoped. Or just to simply maintain my problem-free skin. (Thankfully, I very rarely catch pimples unless it's that time of the month.)

All my life, my skin was always oily. Never had I ever catch a dry skin, let alone have dry patches. The blotting paper had always been my daily rescue—I never even had a day without one in bag! But in September—2 months after I ditched my old skincare—my skin started to dry out. Dry patches were everywhere, redness on some spots, itchings everytime I was exposed to sunlight no matter for how long, even when I felt hot (not necessarily exposed to sunlight), my skin started to itch. It got so bad that I once badly scratched my skin.

Month after month, I was always on the soul-searching journey of skincare. Some only worked for a few weeks or months, and some just failed miserably. Then finally, in March 2017, I found the right line of skincare. Finally..

So here's my current skincare routine. And the ones I've tried and worked for some time but then failed.

(Clockwise: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, Clinique Liquid Facial Soap, Vaseline Petroleum Jelly, Laneige Moisture Balancing Emulsion, Skin Aqua UV Moisture Gel, Lush Enchanted Eye Cream, L'Occitane Shea Butter Light Comforting Cream, Thayers Witch Hazel Toner, Bioderma Sensibio Micellar Water, L'Oréal Gentle Lip and Eye Makeup Remover)
 
On daily basis, here are the skin-pampering steps I do.
 
1. Remove mascara using L'Oréal Gentle Lip and Eye Makeup Remover as I only apply mascara as eye makeup on daily basis. This one has been my holy grail since I was in college. To me, this works better than Maybelline's.
 
 
 
2. As for my face, I cleanse it using Bioderma Sensibio Micellar Water. Been using this for 6 months now and still works perfectly fine for me as I never apply heavy makeup on daily basis. Only a few pats of The Body Shop Pressed Powder and I'm all set.
 

 
 
3. Straight to wash my face using Clinique Liquid Facial Soap Mild for Dry Combination Skin, or...
 
 
 
Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. Both work well for my dry skin.
 
 
 
4. Before applying moisturizer to my skin, I apply Thayers Witch Hazel Toner which smells really good I think I'm obsessed. Also, it's alcohol and paraben-free so it's a savior to my skin as well.
 
 
 
5. While waiting the toner to set on my skin, I apply Vaseline Petroleum Jelly to my lips. Been doing this since I was 17 that I feel so sinful everytime I skip it. (Which very rarely happens.)
 
 
 
6. Then apply this jar of skin savior. My current favorite. My holy grail. L'Occitane Shea Butter Light Comforting Cream. Currently on my 3rd week of using this and my skin is just getting better and better. ~swoon~
 
 
 
7. The last step in my night skincare routine is to apply Lush Enchanted Eye Cream on the outer corner, upper eyelids and under my eyes. This is my very first eye cream since, not gonna lie, I am turning 26 this year so I think it's time to start paying attention to my eyes.
 
 
 
Meanwhile on my day skincare routine, I top it off with Skin Aqua UV Moisture Gel SPF 30 PA++ that has become my go-to sunscreen since last year.
 
 
That's it. My 7-step skincare routine. Not as elaborate and detailed as the 10-step Korean skincare one but as long as this is what works for me then I wouldn't change it anytime soon.
 
But, as I previously mentioned, some products worked only for a moment and some just failed miserably. And here are the lists.
 
1. Laneige Moisture Balancing Emulsion. You played with my heart. You only worked for a brief moment. I put my faith so much in you that I decided to purchase the full-sized one. Turns out I was wrong.. 
 
 
 
2. Muji Sensitive Skin All-In-One Essence. I bought this at a Family Mart when I was on vacation in Japan, in which I forgot to bring any of my skincare products beside facial wash. This worked fine back then in Japan as I didn't catch a dry skin despite the chilly weather. But then it all became just another hit-and-miss product once I used it back home.
 

 
 
3. Sukin Certified Organic Rosehip Oil. You are such a HUGE disappointment, or did I set my expectation way too high of you? You only worked well on my skin for 3 days. Three days. I expected much more than that but you did nothing more than being some grease on my face that makes me look dull. I'm still brokenhearted.
 
 
 
So, that was it. One thing to remember is that one product may work for me while not for the others and vice versa, but well, isn't it nice to share your thoughts with people? Because I'm a firm believer of any reviews, especially skincare, before I ever give it a go.
 
Hope this helps to anyone who ever reads this!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment